Chennai, Aug 18 — The Tamil Nadu government is considering financial assistance of Rs 10 lakh each to the families of three Tamil-origin men killed in firing by Karnataka Forest Department personnel near the inter-State border, Forest Minister R.V. Ranjithkumar informed the Legislative Assembly on Tuesday.
Responding to a special calling-attention motion, Ranjithkumar said the Forest Department was holding consultations on providing compensation following directions from Chief Minister C. Joseph Vijay.
AIADMK general secretary and former Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami alleged that a major conspiracy could be behind the incident. He disputed Karnataka’s claim that the victims were involved in deer poaching and said their families maintained that they had entered the forest in search of cattle. As the firing occurred near the border, only a CBI investigation could establish the truth, he argued.
Palaniswami also described Karnataka’s Rs 5-lakh compensation as inadequate and urged the Tamil Nadu government to provide additional relief.
DMK MLA Manoj Pandian termed the firing a grave human rights violation that could amount to a “fake encounter”. He questioned whether Supreme Court guidelines had been followed and whether the National Human Rights Commission was informed. He sought murder charges against the personnel involved, a judicial inquiry, adequate compensation and employment for one member of each bereaved family.
Congress Legislature Party leader Tharahai Cuthbert supported a CBI investigation. She demanded higher compensation, government employment for the families and full medical assistance for the injured.
BJP MLA M. Bhojarajan offered condolences and urged political parties to set aside their differences, organise a joint protest and press for action against the officials if wrongdoing was established. He also maintained that the compensation announced by Karnataka was insufficient.
Law Minister R. Nirmalkumar identified the deceased as P. Anthonysamy, John Rose Peter and Kumar. Mariadoss and Benjamin escaped with injuries and are undergoing treatment at a private hospital. Their families had migrated to Karnataka about 75 years ago.
Nirmalkumar said nearly 300 people staged a road blockade after the firing, following which Karnataka announced Rs 5 lakh for each family.
Karnataka has ordered a magisterial inquiry to determine who opened fire first and who was responsible for the violence.
Police have also registered a case against the Forest Department personnel. The Minister said CM Vijay had rejected Karnataka’s explanation and demanded an impartial, high-level investigation.


