Bengaluru, Aug 18 — Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader and Karnataka Leader of Opposition (LoP), R. Ashoka, on Tuesday accused the state government of failing to release funds for drought relief despite severe distress caused by inadequate rainfall, particularly in central and northern parts of the state.
Speaking to reporters at Vidhana Soudha, Ashoka said that farmers were struggling due to the lack of rainfall and livestock were also facing difficulties, but the state government had neither declared drought nor released any funds so far.
"Farmers are in distress because of the drought, and livestock are also suffering. There has been insufficient rainfall in central and northern Karnataka, resulting in severe drought-like conditions. But the state government has not released even a single rupee so far," he alleged.
Ashoka questioned the state government's decision to make statements on drought without releasing financial assistance.
"What is the purpose of making statements when no funds have been released for drought relief?" he asked, referring to the proposed statement by Deputy Chief Minister G. Parameshwara.
He urged the state government to immediately release funds and open cattle shelters to protect livestock.
He said the BJP had discussed the issue with the JD-S and also raised it in the coordination committee, demanding that the drought situation be comprehensively discussed during the ongoing Assembly session.
"We are ready to hold the government accountable and strongly condemn its handling of the drought situation," Ashoka added.
He said the BJP had conducted a study of the drought situation and submitted a report.
He added that he had personally toured different parts of the state to assess the situation.
Referring to the Cauvery water dispute, Ashoka alleged that the state government had failed to present Karnataka's case effectively, resulting in difficulties for farmers in the Cauvery basin as well.
The LoP also reiterated the BJP's demand for the removal of Minister B. Nagendra from the Cabinet, saying the party's agitation would continue until he was dismissed.
"The government cannot function with a tainted Minister in the Cabinet. There was an alleged Rs 187 crore irregularity in the Valmiki Development Corporation. Nagendra was accused in connection with the issue, yet he has been appointed a Minister again," Ashoka alleged.
He warned that the BJP would continue its protest until Nagendra was removed from the Cabinet.
Ashoka also alleged large-scale corruption in the Karnataka Public Service Commission (KPSC), citing allegations of question paper leaks and bribery.
"There has been massive corruption in KPSC. Audio recordings relating to question paper leaks and bribery have emerged. There are also allegations of corruption in the Greater Bengaluru Authority and the Police Department. Those responsible must be punished," he said.
He alleged that the state government had failed to take adequate action on several corruption allegations and said a Special Investigation Team (SIT) was constituted only after irregularities came to light.
"We have demanded a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) investigation into the KPSC irregularities," Ashoka added.


